Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Grilled Chicken, Sausage & Vegetable Skewers

When I planned out the week's worth of dinners I had ambitiously planned 2-3 dinners on the grill. Evening commitments in general may keep me away from the kitchen and it looks as though weather will keep me away from the grill as it did last night. Grilled Chicken, Sausage & Vegetable Skewers (found on this site in a watered-down format, I used boneless chicken thighs, turkey sausage, and zucchini and stuffed fresh rosemary sprigs here and there as per the cookbook) from Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times, is meant to be done on the grill and it would have been an easy way to get back into the swing of things out there after a bit of time off. Alas, rain and cold kept me inside and the oven sufficed.

Not being 100% confident in "grilling" under a broiler (and not wanting to sit there and make sure they don't burn) I put the skewers in the oven on 350 for 20 minutes and then under the broiler for 4 minutes a side and they came out great. Bittman suggests that you squeeze the roasted lemon over the meat and vegetables and he is right on the money. The salt, pepper and lemon give it a light, summery taste.

I have two cookbooks by Mark Bittman and I turn to them both again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment