Sunday, May 2, 2010

Primi e Secondi


When I want to unwind from a long day I mix a drink and lose myself in a recipe, the more complicated the better. Over the last few weeks I've really been enjoying cooking out of Marcella Hazan's The Classic Italian Cookbook.
One thing I particularly like is her paragraph at the end of the recipe on pairing the dish with a "primi" or "secondi". I've never found that to be easy so I welcome having my hand held through it.So on a Wednesday night when I get home at 7:00 PM, I pour a Martini and take on Fettuccine Alfredo followed by Chicken Scaloppine with Lemon Sauce and Carciofini Fritti (fried artichoke hearts). Moving swiftly, we were sitting down for our primi at about 8:00. Eight oz. of fettuccine tossed in about 2 oz. of cream that's been heated until thickened; add another 2 oz. of cream and, 1 Tbsp. butter and 4 oz. Parmesan cheese; continue tossing until mixed, melted, etc. Pinch of nutmeg and onto plates. This might knock your socks off so serve a small portion.
If you're prepped you can get the artichokes done while the fettuccine is boiling. Dip the thawed artichoke hearts in beaten egg, seasoned bread-crumbs then into hot olive oil flipping until browned.
The chicken comes together quickly if you buy breast cutlets. Then it's just a matter of a quick dip in flour and then into a little bit of hot butter and oil, remove them and then add the lemon juice and lemons then return the
chicken and you're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment