Monday, April 26, 2010

Braised Red Snapper


Over the weekend I borrowed Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef from my local library. The premise is pretty straight forward; know a few essential cooking techniques (roasting, braising, blanching, stock-making, sauce-making) and a few classic food pairings and trios, and create your dishes. While he presents it in a pretty straightforward way, that kind of cooking represents the "Mt. Everest" of cooking to me. I'm going to hang on to the book for a bit, though, and see if I can take away a thing or two.

I am a fan of braising and jumped at the chance to try a recipe for Braised Red Snapper. About a pound of Red Snapper fillets (two long ones that I cut in half) browned in oil on the skin side for about 3 minutes, removed from the pan. Added a rosemary vinaigrette, strips of roasted red pepper, and lemon sections to the pan, nestled the fish among it and brought it up to a simmer until the fish was done. Served over rice it was a nice dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment