Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tagine it was


Tagine it was for dinner last night. Chicken with hard boiled eggs and almonds. It took a while and the saffron gave me sticker shock ($18.00) but what a result. Instead of a cut up chicken I used 1.5 lb breasts and 1.5 lb thighs. I dropped the hard boiled eggs into the tagine liquid to give them a bit of color. Blanched the olives for one minute in boiling water... struck me as too long.

I had also purchased the fixings for Braised fennel and olives from All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking by Molly Stevens, so had at that while the tagine was cooking. Had an easy time with that, loved the spice mixture (fennel seed and coriander seed toasted and ground) got hung up on the olives though. My local supermarkets are olive impaired, yes they have the olive bar but it all tastes the same so if you are looking for a kalamata or gaeta, or something stuffed with an almond, or even gorgonzola, no problem. Something else, you're in trouble. I used kalamata in the braise and the end result was too salty. I guess that a Morrocan olive is something like this product. So I'll try to find sun cured black olives next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment