Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shrimp and Avocado in Tamarind Sauce

Let's get something straight. This is the kind of dinner that is so good you'll eat until you're uncomfortable. It nails an Asian flavor so thoroughly you'll be amazed that you made it. And I had those thoughts about Shrimp and Avocado in Tamarind Sauce using a substitute for real tamarind paste. So tamarind paste is made from the prune-like pods of a tropical Asian tree. The paste is reconstituted in boiling water. After reading a bit about the product and possible substitutes online, I settled on a 1/4 cup of mixed dried fruit, including a few prunes, soaked in a 1/2 cup of boiling water and then poured the fruit and liquid through a sieve mashing the fruit to draw any liquid that I could get to pass through. This then was mixed with the sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, and when it was blended, I tasted it and knew that I was in for something special. Really the whole dish was out of sight; the shrimp, the avocado, the fried shallot rings, the dry-roasted peanuts... just killer. I served it over jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment