Monday, June 7, 2010

Grilled Calamari?

Who'd have thought? I borrowed Mario Batali's, Italian Grilling on a whim and found a few things to try. Grilled Calamari appealed to me because I've never tried it before. Pretty simple, a pound of squid rinsed and patted dry, tubes cut into thirds. Marinated in thinly sliced green onions, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, ground black pepper, thinly sliced garlic, and marjoram for an hour. Thread the calamari on skewers alternating with lemon slices and fresh bay leaves (Mario calls for lemon leaves.) Onto the grill for about 6 minutes a side and then onto your plate. I served it with Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas and Sugar Snaps. I really liked the flavor of the grilled calamari but it gets a bit monotonous as a main course. I think it would be best grilled in this manner and then added to a calamari salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment