Friday, June 11, 2010

Jerked Chicken

OK, I did it again, I cooked out of Boy Meets Grill with mixed results. This time it was Jerked Chicken with Mango Cilantro Relish. So jerk chicken sounds like a fun thing to prepare and the recipe for the marinade is a pretty incredible concoction. I did mine with two Cornish game hens and let it marinade for 24 hours, something I've never done before. As I was making the marinade I was struck by the number (16) and variety of ingredients and I remember thinking, "if this doesn't impart a flavor, nothing will." So, into a zip-lock bag and into the fridge. Not having a clear idea of what to serve with this I went somewhat caribbean and I decided on a Black Bean and Yellow Rice Salad. The salad came together easily and I liked the turmeric and cumin flavoring and color. The Mango Cilantro relish is a keeper. That combination is killer. The hens cooked up nicely but the marinade left little to no flavor on the chicken. I don't know what to say, I'm determined to try a few more jerk recipes to see if I can get something that pops. As for Bobby Flay, I'm putting this cookbook away.

No comments:

Post a Comment