Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sautéed Chicken Paillards with Artichoke Hearts

When I set out to make this recipe I had every intention of using fresh artichokes. Granted, they're a pain in the neck to prepare but the flavor is fantastic and they add a nice wow factor to the meal. Alas, none to be found in two supermarkets and when I looked and saw that my recipe for Sautéed Chicken Paillards with Artichoke Hearts came from the April, Bon Appetit I realized I was out of season and so settled on canned...and I mean settled. Not being sure what a Paillard is, I went searching and found out that it refers to a cut of meat pounded thin, in this case a chicken pounded to about 1/4 inch thickness. I like doing this although it sends our dog into the bathroom, her refuge from thunder, pounding chicken breasts, and pitting olives by whacking them with the side of a knife. The breasts were then dredged in flour and sauteed and since they were rendered of a uniform thickness, they cooked quickly and evenly. Some adjusting of the recipe had to occur since I was no longer cooking the artichokes, and it all came together nicely. I served it with Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wa) that I cooked in a mix of vegetable and chicken stock, both on hand I was introduced to Quinoa on one of my favorite cooking blogs called 101 Cookbooks and I've cooked it a few times. We think of it as a grain but it is actually a grass and I love to inform people that it was cultivated in South America 6,000 years ago. I recommend that you use it as a component in a recipe (such as this one for Double Broccoli Quinoa which I've tried and loved) and not just as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment