Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pan Roasted Lobster


This was a killer Tuesday night meal. If I had followed Tom Colicchio's entire recipe from "Think Like a Chef," I would have been at it for hours. I was most interested in trying the technique and opted not to serve the lobster with the spiced lobster sauce which required that I follow two additional recipes not to mention the intricacy of preparing the lobster sauce itself. Let me mention though that one of the ingredients for this sauce was lobster butter which was butter and lobster roe mixed together. Can you imagine how good that sauce must be? I bet it would knock you right on your ear.
I purchased four, four-ounce frozen lobster tails and let them defrost in the fridge for a day. The pan roasting is really a way to finish the lobster and give it a roasted taste. The tails spent 4 minutes in boiling water and then into cold water to cool. I cracked them open and dropped them into a pan with butter and oil, slated and peppered them and added a bay leaf, after a minute a little more butter and I kept them moving. Three minutes and out they came onto plates with sauteed cherry tomatoes and snow peas. Instead of butter we dipped the lobster into a ginger sauce. The lobster had nice butter and oil pan flavor that was a welcome change from boiled lobster. The meal was a treat and it came together quickly; uncomplicated enough that I even cooked a pasta dinner for the kids while preparing it.
I'm still jazzed about this cookbook! Worth noting is that chef Tom Colicchio made a cameo appearance on HBO's "Treme" which if you're not watching, you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment