Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I've Been Grilling Seafood

I have to say, I really enjoy grilling. It makes me feel a little like a cave man, you know, "me start fire, me cook meat." I like the flow of a grilled meal, do the prep, start the fire, pour a martini, pour another martini, grill the food, and eat. If you have friends over the grill can be a nice social center too. When I think about a week's worth of grilling I try to plan for a fish, chicken, and a shrimp night. One recipe that I've done inside and out on the grill is Spicy Grilled Shrimp from Mark Bittman's, The Best Recipes in the World. This is highly spiced, not spicy, shrimp and my feeling is that you could half or pass on the tablespoon of salt in the paste. I like to skewer shrimp to grill normally but this time just set them down. Served with rice and lemon wedges it is tasty and a simple weeknight meal.
I find it very hard to resist whole fish when I see it at the supermarket and such was the case when I headed out to buy swordfish steaks and saw whole porgies sitting there. So, I got them both. My plan for the swordfish steaks was to follow Marcella Hazan's Grilled Swordfish Stuffed with Roasted Red Peppers, from her Marcella Says... cookbook. Take a swordfish steak and slice it horizontally into two pieces, a top and a bottom. Put strips of roasted red peppers on the bottom half (Hazan would like us to roast them ourselves; I used prepared ones, you do what you want) and then return the "lid" and secure it with tooth-picks. Mine looked a little like Frankenstein. I brushed the porgy with oil and then hit it with salt and pepper and then both fishes onto the grill. I made a Greek fish sauce with oil, lemon, oregano and salt to put on at the table. I prepared a fennel gratin as a side. While I love whole fish I'm not great at de-boning, you may want to take a look at YouTube for a few ideas; here's one.
I'm not a fan of grilled tuna generally because it seems like there is about a 1 second window in which it's done and if you miss that window, it's overdone and not good. At least that's been my experience. Alas, I was swayed to give it another try by a recipe for Grilled Tuna Salad Nicoise from the 2009 Gourmet Cookbook. This dinner was no small task and were I to do it again I'd cook the green beans, hard-boiled eggs, and potatoes ahead of time. As it was I did it all in "real time" and it really kept me hopping. I grilled the tuna for about 7 minutes total and that was just fine; maybe 6 minutes next time. This recipe makes a mountain of a meal and it would be a show stopper for guests. If I did it again for two I would half the recipe and I'm sure I'd have leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. Tuna looks fantastic. beautiful dish...must try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, it seems like a great "make ahead" dish for a party.

    ReplyDelete