Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fish Tacos with Papaya Salsa

We went south of the border for this dinner and managed to work in a completely new ingredient experience, that being papaya. Alas, I can't find an online copy of the Mark Bittman recipe for Fish Tacos from his Best Recipes in the World cookbook. I did use a halibut fillet and cut it into about 8 small pieces. They were breaded and fried and the tacos were served with shredded red cabbage. The recipe called for steamed corn tortilla which I used and will not use again. I just don't get it, they end up wet and rubbery and they stick together. Next time I'll use small flour tortillas. The meal was made special by the addition of a papaya salsa which turned out quite nice. Never cooked with papaya and I have to say its similarity to a melon; color, texture and flavor, took me by surprise. You can guess that when you mix it with some red onion, minced hot pepper, and cilantro, you end up with a colorful, flavorful salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment